FirstFloor Horry County schools include Socastee Middle School, Socastee Elementary School, St. James Intermediate School, Ten Oaks Middle School and Myrtle Beach Middle School. All 5 of the brand new schools are designed to be energy positive, meaning they will produce more energy than they consume. (Learn more about what “energy positive” means here.)
Each building is strategically and scientifically designed; packed with features that work together to create and save energy constantly.
Some of these features include…
- Over 2100 solar panels per school to create energy for the building.
- Concrete floors and roofs to store thermal energy.
- Superior building envelope. Learn more about how building envelope is designed and constructed at Socastee Middle School here.
- Sunshades to reduce glare and solar heat gain.
- Expansive windows to provide optimum daylight and reduce lighting needs.
- Spray foam insulation to prevent heat or AC from escaping.
- LED lighting, which is up to 80% more efficient than traditional lighting.
- Indoor air quality monitoring for recording and storing data to ensure acceptable air quality and to analyze the data to present results.
- Centralized geothermal HVAC systems. Learn more from the students at Myrtle Beach Middle School here.
Get the inside look at each of the 5 FirstFloor Horry County Schools here!